The U.S. Customs Service and other agencies of the U.S. government offer pamphlets to make entry or re-entry into the United States easier. In addition, the Customs Service provides a general information telephone number at (202) 354-1000.
A great deal of the information is available from the Customs Service website. You also may request the following pamphlets at a local U.S. Customs office, consulate, or embassy or by writing to the Customs Service at P.O. Box 7407, Washington, D.C. 20044, U.S.A.
- "Know Before You Go" - customs hints U.S. residents going abroad
- Welcome to the U.S.
- "Pets and Wildlife" (Pub. 509)
- "International Mail Imports" (Pub. 514)
- "U.S. Customs Highlights for Government Personnel" (Pub. 518)
- "Importing or Exporting a Car"
- "Foreign Trade Zones" - customs procedures and requirements (Pub. 538)
- Travel Alerts
Additionally, the U.S. Department of Agriculture offers two brochures on importing animals, plants, and food:
- "Travelers' Tips on Bringing Food, Plant, and Animal Products into the United States"
- "Importing a Pet Bird—Special Rules for Bringing Pet Birds into the United States"
You may request printed copies of these brochures by writing:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
4700 River Road
Riverdale, MD 20737, U.S.A.