The U.S. Customs Service and other agencies of the U.S. government offer pamphlets to make entry or re-entry into the United States easier. In addition, the Customs Service provides a general information telephone number at (202) 354-1000.

A great deal of the information is available from the Customs Service website.  You also may request the following pamphlets at a local U.S. Customs office, consulate, or embassy or by writing to the Customs Service at P.O. Box 7407, Washington, D.C. 20044, U.S.A.

  • "Know Before You Go" - customs hints U.S. residents going abroad
  • Welcome to the U.S.
  • "Pets and Wildlife" (Pub. 509)
  • "International Mail Imports" (Pub. 514)
  • "U.S. Customs Highlights for Government Personnel" (Pub. 518)
  • "Importing or Exporting a Car"
  • "Foreign Trade Zones" - customs procedures and requirements (Pub. 538)
  • Travel Alerts

Additionally, the U.S. Department of Agriculture offers two brochures on importing animals, plants, and food:

  • "Travelers' Tips on Bringing Food, Plant, and Animal Products into the United States"
  • "Importing a Pet Bird—Special Rules for Bringing Pet Birds into the United States"

You may request printed copies of these brochures by writing:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
4700 River Road
Unit 39
Riverdale, MD 20737, U.S.A.

How Can We Help?

Corporate Relocation:
Individual Move: